Nothing is worse than divorce. Actually, the only thing worse than a divorce is a nasty divorce, or a divorce in which one partner makes vicious attacks and cruel claims of abuse that never occurred. Either party may be guilty of this tactic, causing misery for the innocent spouse, and often for the children, as well. If your spouse is using false accusations against you to secure some advantage in divorce proceedings, it is critical for you to obtain aggressive, ethical legal representation right away.
Abuse and Protective Orders
An individual who claims that abuse, stalking, threats, or harassment is occurring may file an order with the court to keep the abuser away. This can come in three varieties:
- Personal conduct orders simply order specific behaviors, such as battering, destroying property, and harassing, to stop.
- Stay-away orders are designed to make the person under the order keep a specific distance away from the alleged victim. That means the restrained individual must stay away from the home, work, school, etc. of the person who filed the order.
- Residence exclusions require the individual named in the order to move out of the home that is shared with the person who filed the order, taking only personal belongings.
Consequences to Persons Named in these Orders
The impact of this type of order on an individual is immeasurable. In addition to marring one’s reputation irreparably, it can result in losing access to one’s home and children. It will limit the ability to go particular places, to own or keep a firearm, and to maintain immigration status.
Fighting Back Against Untrue Abuse Charges
- Preparing evidence to demonstrate the reality of the situation: There are many ways to show an innocent person in a positive light. Perhaps there are emails, texts, or other communications that demonstrate your true nature.
- Witnesses to your relationship with your spouse may be able to verify your claims of innocence. They can testify as to their knowledge of events that may have been misrepresented, or that never occurred at all.
- Alibi witnesses may be able to show that you were nowhere near an alleged incident.
- Circumstances can be examined to determine what might have motivated an angry spouse to make false accusations. Was it out of spite for an affair? Was it to gain custody of the children?
- Presenting the real you in a court of law can speak volumes. Fabricated allegations can be unnerving, but your confidence and honesty will be a useful tool in establishing your credibility.
Making a false report can lead to jail time for an accuser who is proven to be acting out of malice. More importantly for you, if the court is convinced that the claims are untrue, your ability to regain your life as you proceed with your divorce becomes significantly easier. Because this is serious business, you need a serious legal team. At Beck Law, that is exactly what you will get. If you live in Sonoma County, Mendocino County or Lake County California, contact us in Santa Rosa for a confidential consultation today. Beck Law P.C., is located at 2681 Cleveland Avenue in Santa Rosa, just south of the Empire College School of Law and north of Coddingtown Mall.