Can a strained marriage and the stress of a government shutdown lead to divorce? There is no doubt about it: Stress has an impact on relationships, and it is generally not a positive impact. So, if you are one of the over 800,000 people whose family has been directly impacted by the government shutdown, or one of the hundreds of thousands affected by the sudden stagnant cash flow in your community due to the shutdown, will your marriage be affected? It would be almost miraculous if the stress associated with the absentee paycheck did not touch your relationship. If the stress escalates to the point that divorce is on the table, discussing your situation with a local divorce attorney is a good idea.
Strained Marriage – The Anxiety is Real
Studies indicate that marital satisfaction and longevity are at risk during high stress periods. The government shutdown certainly qualifies as such for many, many couples with an already strained marriage:
- Living without a paycheck, particularly for those who are still required to show up, affects families’ ability to make required payments, secure necessary child care, or make essential purchases;
- Credit ratings are negatively impacted as creditors are dissatisfied with late or missing loan payments;
- Individuals in the midst of home purchases are suddenly unable to qualify for loans;
- Formerly self-sufficient families are having to rely on food pantries and soup kitchens for meals;
- Breadwinners feel helpless as they are unable to earn a living while caught up in circumstances that are beyond their control and understanding;
- The unpredictability of the situation only serves to amplify the unrest;
- Employees who used to take pride in their work are left experiencing feelings of humiliation and desperation.
Relationships Within a Strained Marriage
It is no surprise that when individuals are struggling with anxiety and depression that stems from stress, their physical health, mental stability, and close personal relationships suffer, as well. Research abounds connecting stress with troubles in a strained marriage:
- The original issues of stress and depression sometimes exacerbate other problems that may have been lurking beneath the surface of the marriage, causing them to become more visible and prominent;
- Stress can translate into frustration, which may lead to impatience, verbal sniping, arguments, and even physical encounters;
- As communication becomes strained, marital partners may become more defensive, impacting a couple’s ability to experience trust and intimacy;
- Eventually, positive interactions may diminish, blaming and hostility may rise, and thoughts of parting ways may bubble up.
Strained Marriage – Positive Interventions for Stress
However temporary the stress may be, it is certainly real for those under its grip. Suggestions to deal with the strain include:
- Physical Interventions: Exercise, yoga, or breathing exercises;
- Mental Interventions: Discussing options with supportive family members and friends, engaging in distractions like puzzles or books;
- Emotional Interventions: Watching funny movies or spending time with friends and having the opportunity to laugh as you temporarily escape the stress;
- Spiritual interventions: Praying, enjoying nature, and meditation;
Is it a Strained Marriage or is it Over?
Regardless of the precipitating factors, if you are ready to call it quits, the experienced and ethical Santa Rosa divorce lawyers at Beck Law P.C., can help. If you live in Sonoma County, Mendocino County or Lake County California, contact our Santa Rosa office to schedule a confidential consultation today.