Questioning my marriage and asking what is the difference between a good marriage and a bad one? While the routines and expectations for every couple is different, one thing is for sure: Even couples in healthy relationships don’t necessarily begin and end every day floating through their relationships unburdened with the weight of questions that haunt those in unhealthy, unhappy marriages:
- Should I stay or should I go?
- Is this what marriage is all about?
- Is this as good as it gets?
- Are either of us happy?
- Do I like my spouse?
- Is this “normal?”
If you are lucky enough to go through every day without asking yourself these questions, or if from time to time some thought is given to such questions but dismissed, then you have already unconsciously made the determination that your marriage is worth it, and you are all in. If, on the other hand, you question whether or not you are in the right place, its time to get honest with yourself.
A Marriage Worth Fighting for
In the event that you are seriously unhappy, it is time to own up to the situation and make some tough choices. Is the life you have created worth fighting for? Is there still a flame there? Do you admire and respect the person to whom you are married? If so, it is possible that you are just in a slump and need to find ways to revitalize your relationship. Experts provide some advice on how to do this:
- Forgive past mistakes and move forward;
- Play 20 questions;
- Plan a getaway;
- Learn something new together;
- Schedule a meal with just the two of you on a weekly basis;
- Be lazy together. Just hang out with movies and junk food to decompress;
- Show appreciation in new ways: a note on his windshield, a card mailed to her office, anything novel to bring a smile to your partner.
Questioning My Marriage and Recognizing Things Are Not Going to Work Out
What if you really do not like your spouse? Does the idea of a getaway makes you nauseous, and would you would be far happier working all weekend than spending a day on the couch watching movies together? If you just can not imagine reigniting the flame, or if it was never there to begin with, acknowledging the situation for what it is can feel like a breath of fresh air. Now, finally, you will begin to see your options.
No One Will Believe it!
You think this will come as a big shock to others. Really? Do you honestly think your kids, your friends, and your family has been fooled all this time? Think about it. Unhappiness is easy to spot:
- A polite (or not-so-polite) tension hangs over every activity;
- Snappy tones, eye-rolling, or other telltale signs are clear;
- That playfulness of the early days has become obligatory civility;
- There is always an excuse for why you do not show up as a couple;
Questioning my Marriage and Making the Leap
If it is time for you to opt out of your marriage, the experienced Santa Rosa family law attorneys at Beck Law P.C., can help. If you live in Sonoma County, Mendocino County or Lake County California, contact our Santa Rosa office to schedule a confidential consultation. Beck Law P.C., is located at 2681 Cleveland Avenue, south of the Empire College School of Law, and north of Coddingtown Mall.