Is there a divorce attorney in your future? If so, there is no doubt a number of emotions swirling through you right now. Whether you are initiating the proceedings or you are reacting to the demands of your spouse who’s hired a divorce attorney , the coming months will hold many challenges. Now, more than ever, it is essential that you keep a clear head and proceed with decorum and grace. And certainly, find a divorce attorney who connects with you.
Hiring a Divorce Attorney – Think Before You Act
Yes, you’re upset. Sure, you have valid reasons for feeling that way. Keep the end goal in mind as you maneuver through the coming days, weeks, and months. Ultimately, you want to get through this unscathed and emotionally healthy, so avoid some of the common pitfalls that befall vulnerable individuals facing stressful situations:
- Avoid name-calling and derogatory remarks, particularly if you have children. Chances are that type of behavior will come back to bite you.
- Be sensible with your social media accounts. Do not post nasty messages about your ex, ridiculous partying pics, or threats to “get even.”
- Do not move out if you want custody of the kids. It could diminish your chances.
- Do not rack up a bunch of debt on credit cards just to stick it to your ex. Judges see through that kind of childish behavior.
- Start cataloging your possessions. California is a community property state. Anything accumulated during the course of the marriage will be evenly split.
- Document concerns if you want to fight for custody. It could be a tough battle.
- Be prepared for claims against you by being totally open with your attorney.
- Make sure items of personal value to you are safe. You do not want an angry spouse destroying your heirlooms in an effort to get under your skin. By the same token, do not be a knucklehead yourself. Preserve items that are particularly meaningful to your spouse.
- Make copies of important documents, account numbers, and tax information.
- Focus on moving forward, not on injuring your ex;
After the Divorce
You might feel empty, bludgeoned, or angry after it is all over. Follow these tips to get emotionally and physically healthy after a divorce:
- Give yourself time to mourn. You have lost something and it is ok to feel bad.
- Work through emotions before you start a new relationship.
- Focus on your own good qualities. You have a lot to offer.
- Figure out what you like to do for fun, and do it.
- Shake it up. Get out of old routines and create new ones.
- Explore your town as a single person. Being alone does not have to mean being lonely.
- Move forward. Your life is different, and so are you. Embrace it with gusto.
Hiring a Divorce Attorney
When you are confronted with the prospect of divorce, you want an attorney you can count on, who is accessible and willing to listen to your concerns. At Beck Law P.C., we focus on your needs. Do you live in Sonoma County, Mendocino County or Lake County California? Contact us today in Santa Rosa for a confidential consultation.